Travel awards will be available for African scientists to support the costs of attending the ISME18 conference. The award will cover the following:
- Full conference registration
- Return economy flights
- Return shuttle transport in Cape Town
- 6 days accommodation
- Meal vouchers
All applicants must be microbiologists working/residing at an African institution; anyone working at an African institution, regardless of nationality, is eligible to apply to this grant.
The Travel Awards will be assigned in three categories:
- Student Grants: African students currently engaged in research toward a higher degree: Masters or PhD
- PostDoc Grants: Postdoctoral fellows working in Africa; no more than 5 years post-PhD
- Non-Student Grants: African researchers appointed at recognized research institutions. Early career researchers will be prioritized
The applicant must also be the presenting author of an abstract submitted to the symposium.
Applications for “The African Scientists Travel Award ” should include:
- Applicant’s name and full contact details (full work address, phone number, email address)
- Grant category (see above)
- Gender, age and nationality
- Copy of valid passport
- Proof of registration (Student and PostDoc) or employment
- Supportive statement from current supervisor (for Student and PostDoc applicants) or Head of Department (for others)
- Short personal statement on why you believe the Committee should select you for an award
All applications should be in a .pdf file format (no longer than 6 pages) with the filename containing the applicants’ name as follows: “Surname_Firstname_AfricanTravelAppn.pdf”
You can upload your file when you submit your abstract.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- The Travel Awards will NOT be paid to the awardee. All travel and accommodation arrangements will be managed by the ISME18 official travel agency (Turners). Arrangements will be made in line with pre-selected accommodation and flight providers. Any additional costs will be for the applicant’s own account.
- The above does NOT extend to any other person traveling with you.
- Receiving a Travel Award does not automatically imply that you will be selected for an oral presentation at the ISME18 conference.
- Travel Award funds are limited: the selection process is competitive in each of the named categories, and not all applicants will be funded
Information on deadlines
- The online call for applications opens on 06 January 2020
- The final deadline for applications will be midnight on 6 March 2020
- Successful applicants will be informed by e-mail by 3 April 2020
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE APPLICATION PORTAL