Call for Nominations: ASM Distinguished Lecturers, including “Waksman Foundation Lecturers”
Nomination Deadline: December 15, 2019
American Society for Microbiology Distinguished Lecturer (ASMDL) Program:
- Scientifically-diverse Roster of 16-20 Lecturers.
- ASMDL Lecturers deliver lectures at ASM Branch meetings throughout the U.S.
- ASMDL Lecturers participate in career development and mentoring activities that benefit students, postdocs, and early career scientists at Branch meetings.
- Roster includes Waksman Foundation Lecturers, who have expertise in antibiotics, translational research and/or environmental microbiology. (Waksman Foundation Lecturers are supported by an endowment from the Waksman Foundation for Microbiology.)
ASMDL Lecturer Selection:
- ASMDL Lecturers are chosen through a competitive nomination process, and only the most distinguished lecturers and researchers are chosen to participate.
- ASM members may nominate lecturers for the ASMDL program.
ASMDL Lecturer Duties:
- Speak at ASM Branch meetings and events (at the invitation of individual Branches).
- Serve 2-year terms (July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2022).
- Give as many (or as few) lectures as their schedule allows; no maximum or minimum number of lectures are required (but lecturers average 1-3 per year).
- Lecturers’ travel expenses for ASMDL Lectures at Branch meetings are covered by the ASMDL program.
- The ASMDL program does NOT provide honoraria for Lecturers.
The Committee is seeking Lecturers who have:
- Excellent scientific credentials.
- Proven outstanding speaking ability.
- Interest in interacting with students and postdocs at Branch meetings.
- Interest in participating in Branch activities that promote career development.
Lecturer Eligibility Requirements:
- Nominees must be ASM members.
- Self-nominations are NOT accepted.
- Lecturers who have participated in the ASMDL program over the previous 5 years are not eligible to serve again unless there is a specific need for a topic that justifies the selection of that individual.
To propose a nominee for the ASMDL program, please submit the following (by e-mail) to the Chair, American Society for Microbiology Distinguished Lecturer Committee:
- Letter of Nomination***– written by nominator and specifically addressing:
- Nominee’s scientific credentials.
- Nominee’s abilities as a speaker.
- Nominee’s willingness to interact with students and postdocs during Branch meetings.
- Any other relevant information addressing why the nominee would be a good match for the ASMDL program. *** IMPORTANT – At least 1 of the 2 letters included with the nomination must be from an individual outside of the nominee’s institution.
- Letter of Support*** – from an individual (other than the nominator) willing to comment on the nominee’s fitness for the ASMDL program, including an assessment of speaking ability. The letter may be included with other nomination materials or can be sent directly by the person providing the recommendation. *** IMPORTANT – At least 1 of the 2 letters included with the nomination must be from an individual outside of the nominee’s institution.
- Nominee’s CV
- ASMDL NOMINATION FORM Listing the following –
- Nominee’s contact information.
- Nominee’s suggested lecture topics and descriptions.
- Nominee’s suggested career development and mentoring activities.
- Nominee’s short biographical sketch.
- Nominee’s personal statement– the statement (written by the nominee) should be 250 words or less and can address any/all of the following: why nominee wants to be a part of the ASMDL program; what nominee will bring to the ASMDL program; nominee’s commitment to students/postdocs; nominee’s commitment to ASM and to microbiology; nominee’s vision/philosophy/statement of purpose, etc.; any other relevant information addressing why nominee would be a good match for the ASMDL program.
ASMDL NOMINATION FORM
Schedule for Nominations and Selection of New ASMDL Roster:
- Nominations Open: August 1, 2019.
- Deadline for Nominations: December 15, 2019.
- The ASMDL Committee will begin preparing the lecturer roster in December 2019.
- Nominees will be notified of results in March/April 2020.
- The new roster will be announced in March/April 2020.
****E-mail Submission of Nomination Materials is required. ASM will acknowledge receipt of nominations.****
Nomination Deadline: December 15, 2019
The ASM Distinguished Lecturer program is supported by the American Society for Microbiology and a Waksman Foundation for Microbiology endowment.
TO NOMINATE, click HERE